Activist Ashram 2017
“If you have come here to help me, you are wasting your time. But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together.” –Lilla Watson, Australian Aboriginal artist and activist
The Rules (/TR) is no longer accepting applications for the 2017 cohort of its solidarity network for community organisers, the Activist Ashram. Applications closed at Midnight PST on 10th April. Thank you to all who applied. We have had an unprecedented number of applications and will be in touch soon.
The Ashram was started in 2016 with the aim of bringing together community organisers, educators, writers and artists to examine how various struggles are connected as part of a global system of oppression, while remaining grounded in local action. This year, another cohort of fellows from around the world will join the Ashram. Over the course of 12 months, they will share with each other their experiences of their respective struggles, their wisdom and organising tactics.
Fellows will be provided with the following:
- Two opportunities to convene in-person with the Ashram community. The first, the Ashram ‘opening circle’, takes place in Athens, Greece from 14 to 21 July, 2017.
- A monthly online forum co-curated by /TR and Ashram fellows.
- Opportunities to harness collective resources, networks and skills in media, art direction, technology, movement and fundraising strategies.
- A de-schooling programme that is co-created with the fellows and centered around:
- A constellational worldview: seeing how all oppression is connected as well as exploring where the key acupressure points are in the neoliberal system.
- Enhancing messaging capabilities, including exploring the use of memetics, public art and big data.
- Building a tactical repertoire, which includes sharing organising tactics and strategies, engaging people’s power, and understanding tech security.
- Exploring a more holistic activism, including meditation, yoga, ayurveda and other forms of self-care.
- A modest quarterly monetary award for one year.
If you feel this community speaks to your organising principles and offers the solidarities you require, please apply below by April 10th.
Applications have now closed
In addition, if you have any concerns or questions about the 2017 Activist Ashram, you can reach us through the following platforms:
Read Frequently Asked Questions
Download the application form in PDF here
Twitter: @TheRulesOrg using the hashtag #ActivistAshram
WhatsApp: +1 (929) 320-0682
“To me, the whole opening circle, the openness of the programme and the great disposition of everyone, was a deep and enriching experience of community building. I stand now differently in our planet, I feel very close and connected to the problems of other geographically distant communities of this planet we belong to, and I recognise more clearly the common system that oppress us all.”
“AA fellows facilitating the different sessions helped us develop a sense of belonging and ownership, which was also strengthened over the course of the week.”
“The opening circle for me was a new great and humbling experience. I gained a lot from comrades, I enjoyed the sessions and above all the environment at the Riad [the 2016 opening circle was in Morocco] grounded us in magical way.”